UPS Warning

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Wed Feb 21 17:16:29 EST 2001

I had thought that the USPS post office was ONLY cheaper if you were
shipping 5 pounds or below. Now I am starting to wonder. Things have changed.

USPS made a massive increase on small Priority Mail packages recently, BUT
with whatever changes they both made, the other rates are all pretty close between
Parcel Post, and UPS. I think they are competing!

However, I have never ONCE had UPS damage a package or lose it in the
past 3-4 years.

Many years ago they were not as careful as they are today.

The reason they want you to double box things is so that you will not be
disappointed!

I don't always double box, but I know some things don't need it. If you get to know the
people at UPS, they will be a lot more accomodating. Just don't plan to ship
items with GLASS dials or tubes in them without double boxing or surrounding them
with a good thickness of padding.

Anecdotally - I had ONE shipment that was damaged by the postal service
in another country. It was insured, and the USPS *FINALLY* paid on the claim
about FIFTEEN MONTHS LATER! They had smashed the rig to smithereens.
(what exactly IS a "smithereen" anyway?)

Just last week I heard of another USPS shipment of a radio that had been badly
smashed.

I am one VERY happy user of UPS, who is still wondering about these occasional
horror stories.... but then that is why you have insurance.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov