HW 100 TX woe

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Sat Feb 24 22:40:30 EST 2001

Greetings Dwellers on the Heath:
        I am working on a HW 100. I have been having some luck with it. Not too
much worked at first. I went thru the tubes and got a good set of em in
it. That helped a bit. Receiver started to pass some signals weakly.
Still no RF output, however. Then I discovered it needed 300 volts on
the B+ line, so I rigged up a hi/lo switch for my early but very
workable HP 23 PS. It now delivers 300 V and that helped some. A little
teeny bit of RF output now and receiver got some stations fairly well if
it was turned up full blast. So I did a complete receiver alignment.
Turned out the het oscillator coils on every band, and the driver and
plate coils ditto, were way off. After all that adjusting and fixing,
the receiver seems right. So I turned to the TX. I do pretty well on
receivers, but not so well with transmitters. Anyhow, now it puts out
100 watts plus. But, the bias is way high. And basically the set puts
out full power if one presses the push-to-talk button. I am thinking
this means that the PA tubes (6146s) are oscillating. I tried adjusting
the neutralizing capacitor but that doesn’t seem to change the condition
of full-on PA tubes. About my only guess is that something is wrong with
the neutralizing circuit.
        Any of you greenish chaps got some idears to lead me out the dark? I
think the ole HW 100 ain’t too far from fixed,  but I’m stumped now.
--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD
        home:   ketner at arisbeassociates.com