Latest acquisition: DX-35

Bruce Muscolino w6toy at EROLS.COM
Sun Feb 25 06:40:45 EST 2001

Chris,

I cannot offer any recommendations on the knobs.  In fact I could use
the two lower front panel knobs myself.  I changed them for different
style knobs about 1957 and the originals have disappeared.  I don't see
any signs of degradation on the other knobs.

As you can see from the above I have owned my DX-35 since 1956.  It was
one of the first ones kitted by Heathkit, and served me well for about 5
years and as a loaner for another 5 years!  There is only one caution I
could give about using the rig.  The early DX-35's had a grid drive
problem which was cured by the factory in a service bulletin.  The grid
drive tended to run over the recommended 3 ma.  The result was to
quickly kill the 6146 output tube.  Check yours carefully when you get
it running.

I used mine crystal controlled until I got my General and then switched
to a VF-1, which I also have.  The VF-1 did drift a bit, but fresh
capacitors in the grid divider circuit (510pf's) usually fixed the
problem.

I would replace the electrolytics and any other paper capacitors you
find.  I would also check all the resistors for drift in value.
Otherwise, it should be good to go as they say.  One day I will get
around to restoring mine and look forward to working you.

Oh, I also need the crystal compartment cover.  Does anybody have one
they would like to sell?

73

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov