Master Parts List

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Sun Jan 14 00:27:23 EST 2001

At 12:22 PM 01/13/2001, Paul Horenstein <customcompsys at USA.NET> wrote:

>Well, for what it's worth -- I feel that .pdf format is the right way
>to go; it's universal, easy to convert to paper if you want to, and
>not overly large.
>If there is a group that produces the file, distribution should be
>easy enough -- if the size is under 10 meg or so, many of us have
>"free" web space provided by our respective ISP's, so many sites can
>be used to mirror what would become a basic FTP function. I, for one,
>would be glad to do so. I am sure that some of the BA sites would
>also be able to post same for download.
>
>comments?
>
>Paul K2PH

What's wrong with simple text files?  They are small, and probably the
most universal...
And it doesn't take much to make a HTML page file from a text file.
HTMLs are pretty universal too.

As to where to store it, a posting gave me an idea.

There was a posting from a fellow who owned an ISP (I think his name
was Wayne?).  I also remember seeing a notice on Dale Wentz's web page.
For those that do not know, Dale KB9JJA has a very thorough Heath
web page that needs to find a web server to move it to (see the notice
at http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/index.html)

It seems to me that if Dale and Wayne got together Dale could find a
permanent home for his vast collection of Heath knowledge - he's spent
years assembling the info on his own time and out of his own pocket and
it'd be a shale to see it disappear.  If Dale could find a permanent
home on a server, perhaps that server could also have a files section
that could host a collection of files, one of which is the official
Heath master parts list.  Note that all I'm saying is that the same
server *could* host two functions - Dales page plus a files section.
I do not intend to sound presumptuous on Wayne's hospitality if
that's how it came across.

As I said before, I'm willing to OCR the original if I can somehow
have TIFF or compressed TIFF image files at a resolution sufficient
to read.

Maybe the fellow that has a scanner could scan the pages and either
FTP the image files to a server, write to a Jazz or a Zip or burn CDRs...
I could OCR the images to text files or PDFs (probably both).

As each phase is done, I could FTP the resulting files up to a server
somewhere.

Lastly, I am pretty sure that the Heath Master Parts List is not the
end-all of Heath parts info.  Ed Mosher mentioned that...

>Heath never published a cross reference for their semiconductors,
>ICs, etc.  They had an internal book known as the Parts Master File
>which listed specs and "2N" numbers when available, but that was
>never made public.  A modification of the PMF was the Engineering
>Parts List, which listed most active parts in part ID sequence
>(2N1, 2N13, etc.), again never available to the public.

Maybe if we had a CHR - a Central hall of Records - a copy of that
Engineering list might get scanned and posted.

This mailing list, for one, has been a wealth of info for me as to
Heath info and alternate sources.  Let's have a downloadable original
Heath MPL, but let's also have a web site with additional
information - for example alternate and aftermarket sources - like
the gentleman who re-silk-screens front panels. or sources of high
voltage electrolytic caps, or the Harbach (did I spell that right?)
modification kits for the Heath ham radio amplifiers, or ???.

As always, suggestions, comments, etc are welcome and encouraged.

Mike

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary