Upping one's own bidding.

Jack Cantrell jack_cantrell at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 24 08:14:52 EST 2001

There are at least two reasons to up one's own bid.

Remember, what you are bidding up is your limit, and
not your price.  If your limit exceeds that of your
competitor, you take the lead as buyer, but not at
your limit price.  Therefore, incrementing one's own
bid at the last minute is an attempt to prevent a
counterattack, which as Terry points out, is most
likely to be timed.

However, you may also want to increment your bid well
before the end game.  This happens when the lead buyer
finds that although they have the high bid, it's not
enough to clear the reserve price.  If you see in the
bidding history that one buyer has incremented their
bid 3 or 4 times without challenge, two days before
the auction ends, they have probably been trying to
find the reserve price.

It's a good idea when selling not to set your reserve
price so high that it makes the end game unattractive.

Jack     ab0ox