e-bay

Chris Kepus ckepus at CALWEB.COM
Tue Jan 30 00:48:39 EST 2001

Just a quick comment on Marty's note and W8QA's post.

I have been an avid eBayer for about a year and half.  Found a lot of neat
gear, met some really nice people, and had a lot of fun.  Things have
changed, though, even in the last 18 months.  Prices have really shot
up.....even the less desirable gear seems to be pulling more bidders and
higher prices. So you really have to be patient and more selective in
finding your treasure. To be sure, Marty is absolutely correct about
checking feedback. Plus you must ask the seller some key questions to get a
more complete description of the condition of the item and just as
important, to get an idea about the person with whom you are dealing. Their
return messages can be very revealing.  Marty is also correct that many of
the ham equipment sellers don't know anything about the gear they are
selling....or so they claim...anyway, it allows them to say "AS IS" and you
better believe it!  Caveat Emptor!  I also find that more and more sellers
are pulling their gear apart and selling items separately. The classic was
a guy who recently sold a R4-C without the 2 khz SSB Sherwood filter (he
put the original back in the R4-C) and offered the Sherwood filter
separately.  The filter got more bids and pulled more money than the
receiver!  He ended up getting a lot more for the two than he would have if
he kept them together.  So he was obviously happy.  Anyone in a similar
situation who was watching this bid will probably emulate the practice.  I
personally think the practice stinks.............beaten and burned to death
???? Hmmm.....maybe thrown onto an island with the Survivor gang..........

The bottom line to people like John (and me) who couldn't afford the rig of
their dreams "back then" but are now in a better position to do it
is....research the equipment and the seller as best you can...if you find
ANY red flags, STOP!  But if you have done your homework and you get a good
feeling about the seller....GO FOR IT!  eBay is a helluva marketplace and
there are a lot of reputable sellers who stand behind what they sell.  I
have found and purchased gear on eBay that otherwise would have taken years
to locate and too many hamfests to get to.  I have only been burned once
and it was my fault.......didn't follow my own advice.

But back to another one of the points Marty made, if you buy ham equipment
from a fellow ham, it ain't a guarantee but your chances of getting a
fairer price and a complete, well cared for piece of equipment are sure
better.  This reflector, for example, seems like a logical place to start a
search for Heath gear.

There........that's my two cents!

73 and have fun!

Chris