Wanted: source for 3 wire flat black power cords

Gary Fortnum Daddio683 at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 9 02:31:54 EDT 2001

Hello Doug,

I had the same problem finding a source and was using ones I had found in a
surplus shop but they were a little thicker than the Heathkit ones (about
0.340 x 0.150 in.). Worked OK though, especially on the "heavier" equipment.
I have a few extra and I was about to offer them to you when I thought I
would look up a hunch I had.

The power cord your looking for is an SPT-1 cable with a NEMA 5-15P molded
plug where SPT stands for Stranded Parallel Thermoplastic and the -1 is the
thinnest insulation (to give the smallest outside dimension). The keyword
here being Parallel and Heathkit used some with very narrow widths. I just
measured one and I got about 0.280 in. wide x 0.110 in. thick.  With this
information you can go to any cordset manufacturer and see if they have a
product to match.

One of them is Electri-Cord Manufacturing Co. in Westfield, PA and I believe
they even made power cords for Heathkit.
If you look at there web site at:
     www.electricord.com
 under Products > Standard Powercords, you will find  P/N - ECM-136 that
should do the trick. When you click on Contacts they seem to have
distributors all over so it should be fairly easy to get one (or some). I see
there is a distributor right around the corner from me here in Toronto.

Good Luck,
Gary.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov