slightly off topic

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 14 04:26:33 EDT 2001

Type acceptance is the process that a manufacturer
goes through so that their equipment may be used on
commercial frequencies.  "CB" equipment must be type
accepted, marine equipment must be type accepted,
two-way radio equipment must be type accepted, and so
on.

This assures that the equipment will meet technical
specifications required by the FCC, especially
concerned with frequency stability, spurious
emissions, and modulation characteristics.

Amateur radio equipment does not have to be type
accepted and therefore, unless it has been type
accepted for a specific commercial use, cannot be
legally used on commercial frequencies as far as
transmitting is concerned.  To use a piece of amateur
equipment on, say, a police or fire department
frequency is akin to truckers operating on 10 meters,
shrimp boats operating on 2 meters, etc.  It is
ILLEGAL!  If you are caught, you are liable for fines
up to $10,000 per day per radio and, at the FCC's
descretion, can lose your amateur radio license for a
period up to life!

Glen, K9STH