Wanted: source for 3 wire flat black power cords

Gary Fortnum daddio683 at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 15 00:23:44 EDT 2001

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 22:08:43 -0400, Doug Shields <w4das at ADELPHIA.NET> wrote:

>Hello all,
>   I am looking for a source for the AC line cords used on many Heathkit
>pieces.  It is a three wire power cord with black insulation.  It is a flat
>cable, not the round ones used now.  Does anyone know of a source for
these?
>I have checked all the local stores for extension cords.  Black is hard to
>find and I haven't found any three wire cords in black.  I want the flat
>wire as it fits through the strain reliefs much better.  Any suggestions
>would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Doug  W4DAS

'name' 'call'"
>Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov

Hello Doug,

Had some glitches with my ISP and apparently the following response to your
request may have got lost so I'm posting it again.

About your power cord request;
 I had the same problem finding a source and was using ones I had found in a
surplus shop but they were a little thicker (about 0.340 x 0.150 in.) than
the usual Heathkit ones. I measured a Heathkit one and got about 0.280 in.
wide x 0.110 in. thick. The thicker ones (SPT-2) worked OK though, and
looked right at home, especially on the "heavier" equipment. I have a few
extra and I was about to offer them to you when I thought I would look up a
hunch I had.

 The power cord your looking for is an SPT-1 cable with a NEMA 5-15P molded
plug where SPT stands for Stranded Parallel Thermoplastic and the -1 is the
thinnest insulation providing the smallest outside dimension. The keyword
here being Parallel. With this information you can go to any cordset
manufacturer and see if they have a product to match.

 One of them is Electri-Cord Manufacturing Co. in Westfield, PA and I
believe they even made power cords for Heathkit.
If you look at there web site at:

     www.electricord.com

 under Products > Standard Powercords, you will find  P/N - ECM-136 that
should do the trick. When you click on Contacts they seem to have
distributors all over so you would likely find one near you.

Good Luck,

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov