Painting aluminum chassis

Eddy Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Fri Jul 27 16:26:08 EDT 2001

Hi Terry...

I've had the best of luck by adhering (no pun intended!) to the following
steps:

1) Thoroughly scuff-sand the surface to be painted with a palm sander;

2) "Wash" the surface with mineral spirits/turpentine & a cloth---let it dry
thoroughly;

3) Spray prime it with galvanized metal primer---NO OTHER KIND!!! (two light
coats, to prevent runs);

4) After it has air-dried (overnight), bake the assembly in a conventional
oven for 30-45 minutes at about 225 degress F., and,

5) Apply the final coat in two light layers. Let air dry (overnight), then
bake it for 30-45 minutes at 22 degrees F.

That's it!

You'll get a tough, durable finish that WON'T flake off with your finger
nails (NOTE: The key to success in all this is the primer: ordinary metal
primary will NOT do! You MUST use special primer designed for
aluminum/galvanized metal).

Good luck!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ