Pilot light socket (OT)

Wb5Kxh Wb5Kxh wier at CALCITE.ROCKY.EDU
Fri Jul 27 16:27:49 EDT 2001

>Who might have in their junk box a pilot light socket? Looking
>specifically for the socket from a HW-101, but seems like Heath used this
>same thing in a lot of

Etc...

I just thought I'd comment that pilot lights are one of the things
that *really* changed when semiconductors (specifically LEDs) came in.
I remember looking at schematics on rigs and it took significant
fractions of an amp (sometimes more) just to run the pilot lights (!)
on the "low voltage" side of the power supply transformers.

I recall seeing my first LED circa 1970 or so when I was college.
I think they were going for something like $5 each at that point. I was
amazed that you could get light out of something that took low voltage,
tiny amounts of current, and didn't give any heat.

Sigh - the good ol' days at W0YQ - the U of Colorado club station...
we ran an SB 101 at that point if I remember correctly. There was
a homebrew linear, but it produced incredible RFI in the PA systems in
the student center, so we could only run it very late at night (the
shack was up on the roof of the building)

de WB5KXH

--Bob W.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov