HW 101 vfo question (fwd)

David Wilson david at WWNS.COM
Mon Jul 30 16:33:24 EDT 2001

John,

Look for possible corroded or loose hardware holding the caps or the VFO
assembly in place.  If the hardware is not making a good connection it
can lead to the VFO being a bit unstable.  It may not make any
difference, but a wiggle of the tube on the top of the VFO to get
corrossion off of the socket may be in order.  I don't have a
schematic handy, but would suspect that the tube is also a buffer for
the VFO... If it is quite unstable while doing the wiggle test it
might be a good idea to replace it.  You might want to back off the
mounting hardware and run it back up (be careful not to overtorque the
hardware).

It has been a good number of years since I ran one, but once the hardware
was locked down mine (two HW 101s and one SB 102) were always quite
stable.  There was a bit of long term drift, but it was negligable.

Dave

john wrote...

> I've got a 101 that's working well, with the exception of a jumpy
> vfo. I've had several reports of nice audio, followed by a several hundred
> cycle jump in frequency. It's been suggested that I clean the rotor to
> frame "wiper" (or whatever it's called! )in the VFO variable cap.
> Sounds promising. My question is, can you get to the variable cap
> by removing the lid of the vfo while it's in the chassis? Is there enough
> slack in the wiring to move the lid to one side so as to gain access
> to the innards?
>
> It's been too long since I've built mine to remember!
>
> Thanks in advance
> John

David R. Wilson  WB4LHO
World Wide Network Services