{Collins} Re: Avoiding Scams

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 17 13:22:50 EST 2001

Unfortunately, too many amateurs are "timid" souls who
do not want to cause "trouble", or, be bothered with
all the "trials and tribulations" of a lawsuit.  They
hate to admit that they have been "taken advantage of"
by another amateur.

Frankly, I am most certainly against the "screwing" of
one amateur by another.

This case was the first time that the "local amateur"
had been taken advantage of by another amateur in over
50 years of being licensed.

In my over 40 years of being licensed, I have only
been taken advantage of one time.  That was almost 30
years ago when an amateur broke into the premisys of a
company that I owned and stole several pieces of
equipment.  He was involved with a national "ring" of
persons stealing equipment, exchanging similar
equipment across state lines, and then selling the
"newly" acquired equipment to other amateur radio
operators.  Several law enforcement agencies including
the FBI were involved.  They knew the particular
amateur, but, were trying to get the "head" of the
nationwide operation.

Glen, K9STH