SB-104a - Frequency Drift

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Sun Mar 18 14:28:58 EST 2001

Hello everyone,
Just thought I'd pass along a fix I have done to my SB-104a. The radio
drifts in frequency when cold and it still drifts even after it has had a
good hour to warm up, although not as much.

Some advice from Mike Bryce solved it. Turns out there are 3 large
capacitors  mounted on the actual VFO board (inside the VFO) that are glued
together. The glue weakens over time and they are no longer stuck together.
On Mikes advice, I re-glued them and now my radio is rock solid. Much
better and now I can use it without "chasing" the dial around.

My thanks to Mike Bryce for his tip. I never would have got to that
solution even after many hours of bug shooting. Thanks to Mike and all on
this reflector (Like you Ed with my SW-7800), who have provided and
continue to provide,  terrific technical advice!

Teamwork at its best!

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov