Removing stuck coil slugs

Gerald Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Sat Mar 31 18:48:29 EST 2001

I know that technique works because I've tried it before. Next time though
I'll try another way. You need an alignment tool that you are willing to
part with so that may not be a good thing to try. Still, there may be
instances where drilling out a slug may not be advisable. Put some epoxy on
the end of the tool and insert it in the broken slug. Wait for the epoxy to
cure and then back the slug out. Then you can look at the dimensions and get
another one from another coil. I saved a bunch of old slugs so I would take
one from the pile.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Ed Richards
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 7:49 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Removing stuck coil slugs

Hi, all;

I want to pass along something I learned by chance. I recently had a
radio with three stuck coil slugs. One was cracked, the other two
appeared not to be. The coil forms were plastic and I figured the plastic
shrunk over the years and had a death grip on the slugs. I tried
everything I could think of to free them, to no avail. The last thing I
did was put a few drops of penetrating oil in each coil form and let it
sit over night. The next morning they were no better. so I started to
drill them out. I started with the smallest bit that wouldn't go through
the slug, and increased one size at a time.  I noticed they drilled real
easy compared to some I had done before, dry. On the third bit the slug
crumpled and came out in chunks and like dust. All I had to do was pass a
Q-tip through each one to clean out the debris, and retap the coil forms
with a 10-32 tap. New slugs went right in and turned easily.

I figure the penetrating oil softened the binder for the powdered iron
and made it like putty. Give it a try .

Regards,
Ed Richards

'name' 'call'"