FS for fixup or parts

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Fri May 11 10:24:46 EDT 2001

On 4/27/01 9:11 PM, Charles W. Morehouse at w4gbw at BREVARD.NET wrote:

>Like I said before, anyone who parts out a Heathkit should have a certain
>pair on their
>anatomy removed with a rusty knife. Have some rusty knives and will be
>glad to serve.

I think that's unfair, it's also unreasonable.

I have a GR-81 I've been trying to restore. For a long time, I was
looking for an 26-81 tuning capacitor. This is a hard animal to find,
even though it was used on several Heath shortwave receivers.

I turned down buying a GR-64 (which has the part), since the unit was in
good condition -- I didn't want to gut a pristine Heath just to get my
GR-81 going.

However, someone on the list had an SW-717 (which as the part) that had
been left in a barn for some time. The top of the case was gone, and a
couple of the coils were broken.

Perfect! So, I've gutted a basket case SW-717 to fix my GR-81. I also got
some knobs as well. I still have plenty of SW-717 parts left, if anyone
needs anything.

Sure, it's sad to see another Heathkit bite the dust -- but the damage
was done long ago. The only source of parts for restoring a Heathkit is
pretty much other Heathkits -- so a few have to let go of their feeble
existance so we can restore others.

BTW, I'm looking for a 26-85 capacitor as well, and I could also use a
GR-81 dial panel (mine has a few holes in it).

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov