Pet Peeve of the New Millennium

Multi-Volti multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Thu May 17 18:03:19 EDT 2001

I don't get this thought process that high bidders ruin it for everyone
and therefore we need a new hobby...

I have to accept that there is all kinds of stuff at live, as well as
e-type, auctions that may sell for more than I want to pay and/or can
afford. I don't completely throw in the towel...I may find something at
a hamfest, or from someone who either despises the e-process or isn't
connected yet.

I have also purchased great deals on eBay...maybe they were obscure
things that had little demand.

I would be really torn over what to do with an unbuilt Heathkit if I
bought one on line...if I paid any more than a rational market value, of
course building it would devalue it from the collectible perspective.
We've all heard the caveats about whether or not a kit sealed in
cardboard
that outgasses acids and other chemical residues will be ready to solder
easily or will need mil-spec cleaning of each component lead and pc pad.

I like the idea of rescuing old Heathkits, but mobs with torches and
pitchforks at the moat won't let us make do with non-original
parts...why is that? Does it affect the market value? OK, no holes or
silver dolars glued into the spinner knobs, but internally, if vaporware
parts aren't available...I think do what is necessary...if you have the
ability or financial wherewithall to hand-make replica parts, great.

I liken fixing up old radios to fixing up old cars. There's a school of
thought for original parts, but then look at the customized ones...50
Ford with 70's Chrysler engine and transmission. "Huh?" It's ok in some
contexts, but not others..."huh?" again.

What makes a 57 Chevy or 42 Ford worth so much more than a 51 Dodge?
What abot custom vs. original? I think someone should be able to enjoy
something they own and resort to what resources they have available fo
repairing/restoring it. Yeah, it's a shame when a(n) SB-401 gets painted
orange and the -301 blue so the operator can tell them apart (that's
what the seller told me!) and glued silver dollars in the lmo
knobs...all he needed to do was have one be heads and one tails, and
skip the paint jobs.

I fixed the spelling in "pet peeve" (subject line) so the error doesn't
keep propagating (not as in E-layer)...a past life in newspaper industry
gave me that neurotic habit.

Murray

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov