Idea.....

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Wed May 23 15:44:11 EDT 2001

Last year, one of our high tech solid state whiz-bang rigs failed at the
Novice/Tech station, so I put the SB-102 into service. It worked fine. But
you make a good point. We tend to forget the bad part about the old stuff
and just remember the good. It was a real pain lugging that stuff to FD and
then cabling it up. There's something to be said for just plugging it in and
getting going.

Brian

"Embrace the new, but cherish the old"

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Multi-Volti Devices
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 6:36 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: Idea.....

I'm sure old timers will remember all the "fun" that
was to be had at Field Day running old multiplier-type (vs. heterodyne
oscillator) rigs...the guys who lugged Johnson Viking II's and
DX-100's...sheesh! Even 301-401 twins were a lot of cabling to set up.

Certain stations that had the worst harmonics would get 'banned' during the
hours the higher freqs were hot and the harmonics were wiping out other
bands, and arguments ensued.

I remember a guy who got a "Spirit of Field Day" award because his rig got
dropped in a pond and he had a mild heart attack...

BTW, my call is K3FD, when we were allowed to choose calls as
Extra's...guess what my favorite contest was...

Murray

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov