Idea.....

rayfri rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Wed May 23 18:38:15 EDT 2001

As one who helped lug many an old tube rig/rigs up to the top of utah mountains
and out to the fields as a Novice, I'd like to put my two cents worth in here.
Yes, it was sometimes heavy and yes it sometimes took a while to get it hooked up
but the main ideas were to have fun and be ready for an emergency when you
might have to do it for real situations.  The main advantage then and the advantage
that remains true today to the "old stuff" is that we could load em into almost
anything without extra equipment like tuners.  I've told many times about seeing
window screens, bed springs, odd lengths of wire and other assorted stuff loaded
up with the pi-network of a tube rig...  Can't do that with most of todays solid
state stuff that shuts down or automatically reduces power if the swr is over
2 to 1.  So as far as being able to get up and operating quickly, you may be
able to get the new stuff hooked up quickly, but in an emergency are you really
going to be able to put up a 1 to 1 swr dipole of 3 element beam that is matched
and allow you to get out and communicate?   It may take me a bit longer to cable
up the old tube rigs, but I'd wager I can get em making contacts easier in an
emergency or non-emergency situation where I cant connect to almost anything
that will conduct and get a decent swr with just the internal tank circuit.
I'm not dissing the new stuff... I use some of it myself... I would just like to
educate those younger than me as to the benefits of radios that still glow in the
dark... HI HI.
Ray  wa7itz.....    on the air for 32 years and still going stron.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov