Heath TV

Bob Wier wier at CALCITE.ROCKY.EDU
Sun May 27 16:34:34 EDT 2001

>Hi Justin,
>
>You ought to buy one of the old catalogs just to see the scope of what
>Heathkit offered - tv, stereo, cb, ham, shortwave, r/c, marine, test
>instrumentation, furniture, organs, educational, home electronics.
>
>The kits didn't take as long as you might think. I bet an HW-101 could be
>built in a few days, and I built that color tv in about 1-2 weeks. You have
>to understand that once you started a Heathkit, you really got into it.
>Everything else, even going to the bathroom, was secondary. It was a
>passion, nay, an obsession!

Yes - that's very true - I found it a similar sort of thing to
getting involved in programming computers in some respects - it
got to be an obsessive/compulsive fixation to get it done and working.
I also found it incredibly frustrating if there was a bad/missing
part (a rarity) or if I couldn't get things working and had to take
it to the Heathkit shop and wait 4 weeks for turnaround (this was
in Denver)...The two I couldn't get working very well was an
HW-16 (I lacked test equipment, by and large) and the first
digital counter (which had a design flaw - they eventually brought
out a TSB on it to get reasonable sensitivity)..

On various kits - let's not forget airplanes and motorcycles!

73's de WB5KXH

--Bob Wier

wier at calcite.rocky.edu

(one time "Boonie Bike" builder/owner)