RG-62U Coax

David Poplewski dpoplews at BERRIENCOUNTY.ORG
Thu Nov 1 10:37:51 EST 2001

Ed you are right on target. As a former Heath employee from 1968 through
1992 (24yrs) at the Heathkit plant in St.Joseph Mi., I lived and breathed
Heathkit amateur radio from technician through product line manager. I've
read many a posting the last few days about Heath and have been reluctant to
respond because the subject of Heath and what happened to a great company
breaks my heart. I certainly have better information then well meaning
outsiders.

Now to the purpose of the RG-62 on the SB-301/401 combination. RG-62 cable
was selected for it impedance factor (93 ohms) and it's velocity factor
across the frequency spectrum of the HFO oscillators. The use of other than
RG-62 is not as critical for the LMO and BFO cables because the frequency
never gets above 5 MHz, but the HFO frequency changes from band to band. As
you would increase your operating band to say 10 meters the HFO frequency
made quite a leap from the 80 meter band to 10 meter band. In order to keep
the HFO injection voltage level as constant as possible over this range into
the mixer stage in the transmitter,(so the transmitter maintains a level
output) it was necessary to use a cable that presented the least amount of
attenuation over this frequency range.
Of course if you had the accessory crystal pack in the SB-401, these cables
were not even required. They were indeed critical for transceiver operation
without the crystal pack.

I hope this helps.

David Poplewski KC8IV
Former Heath 1968-1992