Dumb question #1

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Thu Nov 1 16:56:26 EST 2001

justin...

when you're looking at any project, one has to look past what is before
their eyes.

an example I am working on

the HP23 power supply boards.

The boards will sell for $15 a pop. And a lot of people will moan about the
price of "just a board"

however when you look at it from an overall view, then the price really is
cheap. that's the same thing about the $10 oscillator.

in my case, there's the setup fees, tooling fees, photoplot fees, shipping
fees and gerber file fees

now add on top of that the three prototypes I had to make.

and then the artwork for the project, copies of the instructions and well
you can see what starts out as a simple practice oscillator ends up costing
$10 a pop.

I guess one could compute the price of the HW-101 in today's money knowing
the rate of inflation and all, but I would hazard to guess the price would
be about the same as a multiband ssb radio goes for today. About $1200 to
$2000 a pop. It's hard to compare today's dsp radios with an 101, but a good
HF radio today will set you back a bit over a grand.

--
Mike Bryce WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems