Heathkit

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Sun Nov 4 21:06:09 EST 2001

Erik Dragos wrote:

> There is no doubt that kits like these today would be
> much more expensive.  If a company was to flourish
> making kits in todays market they would have to be
> superior products or very unique and both would only
> add to the up front cost.  Also, with the
> miniturization of components, throw-hole parts are
> becoming more rare and more expensive.  It would be
> very difficult and impractical to assemble a surface
> mount kit.  However, if the product was unique enough
> (like a VFD Caller ID box) I would be pullin out my
> magnifying glass and needle soldering iron!
>
> It all adds up to "Those days are over"

Erik, those days are NOT over. Many unbuilt Heathkit items are still
available on ebay, and other places. Heathkit produced so many kits, and
many people bought them or received them as gifts, and then decided not to
build it. Now, we can enjoy these beautiful unbuilt kits - either to build
or to admire and collect in unbuilt form. Just as long as we are prepared to
pay the market value:-). Harvey.