sb-104 Receive Distortion Problem

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Sun Nov 4 20:58:24 EST 2001

Working on an SB-104 I picked up a few days ago. Have fixed many problems.
I'd like to acknowledge the info posted by Kees, K5BCQ and Mike Shelton,
WB8VGE. Both sights provide excellent info and helped me solve my G Board
RF gain problems, and blank display  problems. Both Gentlemen make it easy
to work on these rigs...Thanks for posting the  great info Gents!!

I have the Heath assembled G Board  (85-1931) and had to remove the power
coming from the Rear of the RF Gain control. The smoke lead me right to the
problem..Hi Hi.

Problem I have now is audio distortion from strong signals. Its almost like
the G board is suffering from too much sensitivity and needs the RF gain
control back. "Normal" signals are OK and the audio is fine, but strong
signals are a problem.....Is this a common problem with the newer G
Boards???  I almost need an RF Attenuator like the SB-303.... Any
suggestions??

Thanks everyone!

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU/VE3DDI