SB-500

Jim Roik jnroik at ESCAPE.CA
Tue Nov 20 13:04:44 EST 2001

The SB-500 is a two meter transmitter that is used with the 6 metre
transceiver and can also be used with the SB-301/SB-401 with 28 MHz IF. I
used to own one and had used it with an FT-101. It is easy to configure and
use with just about any tube type transceiver. I believe it has its own
high voltage supply but needs bias from the transceiver.

As for operation, the receive convertor liked to take off. It used
nuvistors and I found that it was a bit tough to align without going
unstable.

The transmit side worked OK except the final (6146s) were difficult to
neutralize. I ran it pretty hard and the finals got so warm that the plate
caps let go.

All in all a fun unit to play with. I made a lot of contacts with mine and
wish I still had it.

Jim  VE4AQ