HW-101 Tubes

Craig Buck K4IA at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 30 15:35:49 EST 2001

There has been a lot of discussion about this on previous threads.  I believe
the consensus was that the various versions of the 6146 had different
interelectrode capacitances and they were not to be mixed in pairs, i.e., one
6146 together with a 6146A.  I also think they were not interchangeable i.e.
substitute a pair of 6146BAs for a plain 6146s.  The W was a special military
version with a heavy duty filament.  I think the W presented a particular
problem.  You might try checking back in the archive or download the heath
service bulletins which are available somewhere on the web.  Let me know if
you need the reference and I will check it out again.  Also the November CQ
had an article about restoring the HW101 and I think it mentioned this.

Radio K4IA
Craig Buck
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401 USA

FISTS CW CLUB #  6702 CC 788 Diamond #64
QRPARCI # 2550
K1 #470