HW-8 Modifications

Michael Clarke michael.clarke at SWIFTSOFT.NET
Tue Oct 2 17:02:20 EDT 2001

HI Ron
The manual is of course very detailed and very useful.
But try also to get hold of a copy of The HW-8 Handbook, a collection of
articles on the  modification of the  Heath HW-8 and HW-9 QRP CW transceivers,
compiled and edited by Michael Bryce WB8VGE.
The one that I have is labelled  "first edition second printing 1994".
The first printing was in 1991 and it, in turn, it came from the earlier and
very useful   'Hot Water Handbook'.
Most of the data on HW8 was already in these earlier 'Hot Water' papers, but
there are a few extra bits of good information in the 1991 and 1994 Handbooks.
Most of this information came from SPRAT and similar journals in the 1980s.
There may have been a more recent edition of the Handbook since 1994, but I am
not aware of it.
Practical Wireless in the UK will have an article about the 'Classic' HW7 and
HW8 by George Dobbs G3RJV in the November edition, due out next week.
I am sure that this article will be very much worth reading, as is everything
that George writes about QRP.
Finally,  a suggestion from my own very bitter experience.
Be very very wary of connecting 12v reverse polarity to your HW8.
It does a lot of damage.
There is no circuitry protecting against reverse polarity.
I have not yet been able to correct all the damage done to mine in less than a
second by a 12v lead acid battery and my stupidity.
It includes, so far found, a burnt RF choke and a shorted zenner diode that
looks OK.
Michael
mi5mtc