Differences between SB-300 and SB-301?

Eddy Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sun Oct 14 18:51:00 EDT 2001

Hi Dave...

I was faced with a similar dilema once, & ultimately sold off the SB-300...

The '301 should be especially appealing to you with those external VHF
converters, because it allows you to switch between them directly from the
front panel (with the '300 you have to look inside, under the lid).

Also, the '301 allows WWV reception (for calibration of the 100-KHz marker),
& isn't too shabby as a SWL set for the 15-MHz band, either, when you tire
of Ham stuff.

The '301 also has an effective noise blanker.

The physically smaller filters aren't a problem---I use the bigger '300
style optional filters with my '301 by attaching them BELOW the chassis (I
secure them to the chassis with a drop of silicon sealant).

All-in-all, I think the SB-301 is one of those unheralded gems that one day
will be better appreciated when all of the high end stuff from the era
(a.k.a. "expensive") gets REALLY out of sight, price-wise...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ