HEATHKIT's Demise

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 30 17:09:46 EST 2001

I believe, as a x-Heath employee, in all the "politically incorrectness" of
today, would disagree with Chuck's remarks and would agree with Dave Kechkaylo.

If the "economic, business and social" changes Chuck refers to is what Dave
wrote as "Steelworker's union trying to muscle their way in control of Heath's
factory in 1979", then I would agree that his ONE fact led Schlumberger to
divest itself of Heath.  To my knowledge, Schlumberger was in no way looking to
divest itself of the cash (thus the company) Heath was generating at the time.
The purchase of Heath, by Zenith, then lead to what Dave said, "layoffs
resulted.....and Zenith. Without the latter, I think Heath, with the right
direction and product lines, could have lasted longer....Zenith supplied the
coffin nails and pounded in the last one.".  This LAST fact is the ONE main
factor why Heath is no longer into the computer business nor any other line of
product that most of us knew of from the 50's to the 80's.

As far as "technological" changes....There were (are) some, but nothing which
could not have been overcome by those Heath leaders who were there at the time
in engineering, sales, marketing and other areas.  The "heavy handed
leadership" coming from Chicago did most of the driving of these good people
away, which further diminished the "future".  Chuck wrote regarding "Heath's
demise" that it "began to show themselves in the late 60s, but which actually
started much earlier"....I really disagree with this as Heath was a robust
company, making millions of dollars and really pioneered some outstanding
technology during this period.  Also, Chuck wrote "That Heath would go out of
business at some point in the late 20th century was, in my opinion, a fore
drawn conclusion".  Well, Heath is still in business.  Certainly not with the
product lines it used to have, but still a business employing people and
selling product today and they have their headquarters still in the local area.

The Heath Company many knew from the 40's and the 50's (when I really got
interested in their products) was certainly quite different from the company I
worked for in the early fall of 1979 (and certainly through 1984).  But most
companies, to stay in business, change with the times.  Heath certainly did and
most was for the better.  Dave is probably correct, when he said "I think Heath
Company would have slumped overall, particularly in the amateur radio product
line, anyway, as newer, better, products were offered by Japanese companies".
However, certain products could have continued to be "kitted" and most
certainly newer ones developed not only in amateur products but in other lines
as well.  The company building (which is right across the street from where I
currently work now) certainly could be filled with a bustling business
reminiscent of it's past, instead of what it is now....I firmly believe that.

Perhaps others will have more to say, and I'm sure there will be negative as
well as positive comments....but all the "Monday morning quarterbacking" is
mute as Heathkit, as we once knew does not exist.  So Dave, you got it right.

73, Larry, KC8JX
"A 17 year Heath employee"

--- On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:13:26 -0500 john van laar <van at STARBAND.NET>