" Silkscreening Of Panels"

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Fri Sep 14 00:40:10 EDT 2001

You may not find this helpful, but here's how I do it.

1. Find a sheet metal manufacturing shop in your area - one with caustic
etch tanks, sanders, metal folders, breaks, etc. I use Waddle Mfg. in
Longmont, CO.

2. Trace the SB-220 panel's shape on a new piece of aluminum plate
(available at RadioShack.com, and also at the sheet metal shop). Cut and
de-burr the plate.

3. Mark the location of the holes, using the original SB-220 panel as a
template. Have the shop punch the holes, sand and etch it. (If you don't
want to pay for this, you can use a drill and file, sand it, and then use a
lye solution to etch it. Then clean it with soap and water.) Keep it free of
oil from your fingers.

4. Buy some of the green wrinkle finish from someone on this list who
advertises it from time to time, and spray it on the prepared metal (on a
warm day for max wrinkle effect).

5. Now, using Corel Draw, prepare a 1:1 image of the front panel and print
it on large paper using a font with 150 dpi resolution. (Kinko's can help
you do this.) Take this to a photographic shop and have them make a 1:1
positive film image (they will print it in black ink on a large, clear
sheet.) Take the film and the prepared panel back to the sheet metal shop
and ask them to silkscreen it.

Should cost about $200.

Voila!

73,