tuning a final, dip and load

Peter A Markavage pmarkavage at JUNO.COM
Sat Dec 7 22:44:16 EST 2002

Unfortunately Dave you failed to mention the some the previous paragraphs
in the manual:

Meter switch to ALC, mode switch to tune, stand-by switch to send, and
peak the ALC reading with the drive control; then turn the meter switch
to IP, leave the mode switch in tune, stand-by switch to send, and
quickly adjust the plate control to dip the plate current (this
adjustment allows for getting the plate tank circuit at resonance without
putting the tubes at risk); then put mode switch to CW (CW position,
final tubes will draw full plate current; Kenwood quote: "Do not transmit
with the tubes out of resonance for more than 10 seconds"), meter switch
to RF, stand-by switch to send, and quickly adjust plate and load....etc.

Tuning these rigs for maximum output, without first bringing the final
tank circuit to resonance, can lead you to premature final tube or
component failure.
Dip and load is always a safe way to tune a transmitter final.

Pete, WA2CWA