Unbuilt Heathkits - solderability of parts

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Dec 9 10:43:05 EST 2002

Terry -

At NASA in the 60's we had a device that was like small ice tongs, (flat
metal in the shape of a letter "U") with half of a "Pink Pearl" eraser
taped with double-sticky tape to each end.  Wow, harder to describe than I
thought!

Anyway, leads were clamped between the two pieces of eraser and then drawn
out.  Two passes made them clean as new and easily solderable.  A Pink
Pearl was also used to clean the gold plating  _completely off_  of each
pad before soldering.  The gold was not to be soldered to, only to protect
the traces from corrosion.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta