AT-1 Fix-up Question

Gary Youney AA5QT at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 12 20:02:49 EST 2002

I have a VERY nice AT-1 that I plan to offer up for sale soon.  It's the
grey-knobbed (later) version.  It's been sitting on my shelf for so long that
I've forgotten where I got it.

The other night I turned it on, plugged in a 40 meter crystal, and powered it
up (I know, I should have used a Variac).  Anyway, it came up fine, with
about 8 watts out.

My question is this:  It seems to have the original electrolytics- would the
unit be worth more to someone (at least sentimentally) with the original
caps, or with them replaced?  I'm asking because I could replace them in just
a few minutes, but I don't want to "destroy" a true collectors' piece.  I
know some of the antique radio guys go to great extents to preserve the
original look, but I'm not sure anymore about hams.  Personally, I'd rather
have it working and electrically perfect, even if not original, but what do I
know?

I'm not after maximum return (after all, it's just an AT-1), and I don't plan
to auction it.  I was just wondering about value vs. electrical restoration.

73,  Gary  K5QT