Heath VF-1 & Johnson Adventurer Transmitter

Mark V. Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Dec 14 22:07:48 EST 2002

I would appreciate some advice from some of  our more "senior" Heath
Team mates... I'm trying to recreate a Novice stn I had back in the
early 70's. Johnson Adventurer Transmitter, Heath VF-1 VFO and
Hallicrafters SX-110.  It was a challenge getting this setup going but
it is and I  have  a "chirp" or frequency pull problem with the VF-1.
Like the Heath AT-1, the Johnson Adventurer provides power through a
rear accessory socket. Adventurer uses 6AG7 OSC, 807 final, 5U4 rectifier.

I originally set it up so that both the VFO and the first stage of the
transmitter were keyed as per the Johnson manual. Not at all good. I
then let the VFO "free run" and just keyed the first stage of the
transmitter. Better but still "pulls' or chirps. Crystal control is very
good, once I got a 6AG7 with enough inter electrode capacitance to
activate the crystals and oscillate. Pierce Osc. configuration.

VF-1 and Johnson transmitter have new Cap's, tubes, alignments, etc.
Voltages, wiring are good.

Question is, was some degree of "chirp" common in the "hay days" of the
50's when these set up's were common?? Is there a cure or am I rock
bound, or do I go ahead asking my QSO partners  to endure a bit of
chirp/pull??

Appreciate some advice and memories of the 50's..

TNX Team!

MV Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI