WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Mark Graalman WB8JKR wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Tue Feb 19 17:00:49 EST 2002

   Hi Jerry,

  I just finished rebuilding a SB-401 and I basically
followed the instructions in the manual except
I made final adjustments tuning the driver grid
and plate coils for maximum final grid drive.
 Instead of using a RF probe and VTVM, I used
a 35 Mhz scope and a X10 probe, I've found the RF
probes do load the circuit a respectful amount and
can cause confusion during alignment.
 I also did all tuning at the bottom of the band segments
with the driver tune cap set one mark up from the
extreme left position (approx 9:30)
 Until I did the final touch up using the final grid current
meter, I had problems with decent output on 15 and 10
meters, only about 60 watts on 15 and about 40 watts on
10 meters, but after adjusting for maximum grid drive
I obtained the following outputs measured on a Bird 43
 With a line voltage of 123 volts:

80 meters 120 watts
40 meters 120 watts
20 meters 100 watts
15 meters 85-90 watts
10 meters (all segments) 75-80 watts

  Also, make sure you reconnected the screen and plate voltage
to the finals after the neutralization process.

73,  Mark  WB8JKR