HW-101 VFO Problem

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Sun Jan 13 17:35:43 EST 2002

I agree...Variable cap "wiper" contacts to gnd are likely not making
contact...I've had this on my SB-102, SB-101,SB-100, and  SB-104...I've
given up on trying to actually clean the contacts and having it
last.....I've resorted to soldering a nice length of copper braid to the
variable cap shaft and then grounding it. It works very well! I took the
LMO of my SB-102 completely apart (can be done if careful and patient) and
then soldered the braid from cap shaft to gnd then reassembled the LMO.
Works perfectly!! A bit of a job, but it solves the problem..What happened
with my SB-102 is that over the years the heat from the rig started to melt
the grease on the shaft bearings...It then drips onto the wiper contact and
then turns to an ugly mess. I clean up the mess but don't rely on the wiper
to make good contact anymore.....

I came across this on my SB-104. I cleaned that gosh durned variable cap
twice only to have it go flakey again in a few days....Thats when I
soldered the braid on the shaft to gnd. The shaft needs to be cleaned with
a file or a wire brush attachment on a dremmel tool...Then use a good sized
soldering iron and quickly solder the braid to the shaft.....No more
problem....

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU/VE3DDI
---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM on 01/13/2002

The Heathkit Junkie <w0qni at JUNO.COM>@LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV> on 01/13/2002
03:01:35 PM

Please respond to w0qni at JUNO.COM

Sent by:  Heathkit Owners and Collectors List <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>