QST View

Mike Morris WA6ILQ morris at COGENT.NET
Mon Jan 14 03:44:41 EST 2002

Yeah, another OT post... But it might help the gentleman get his QST
software running.

I have heard the same thing here.  A gentleman I know does computer
support at a major HMO and ALL of the XP upgrades there are being
done onto virgin hard disks.
He fought a 98 - to - XP upgrade for 2 weeks and a 2000pro - to - XP
upgrade for a week before wiping the drives and starting fresh.  After
that everything worked as predicted.

My acquaintance's home system has a secondary HD controller (a
Promise Technology "Ultra 66" PCI card - about $35-$40) because
his older motherboard doesn't know about large HDs (over 8 gig).
So he has the DVD drive, the CD-RW drive, the Zip 250 internal, and
the LS-120 drive (a 120 meg floppy) on the motherboard IDE ports
and two hard drives hooked to the Promise board (which can support
4 drives).  The Promise board "looks" like a SCSI controller to the OS,
so you can have multiple controllers in a system if you want to.

But this system has a twist in the hardware hookup and configuration...

The first HD (channel 1 primary) is a removable disk tray (i.e. the hard
drive is removable).
The second HD (channel 1 secondary) is his original Win98second edition
bootable drive.
With the disk tray plugged in the system boots XP or 2000 depending
on which of the two removable drives he has plugged into disk tray.
The Win2k drive is a 12 gig, the XP is a 20 gig.

With the removable drive tray empty the system boots Win98se from the
2nd drive because the Promise controller skips the first drive position
when it does not find a drive there.

This gives dual boot without any fancy software.  And because the C:
drive is the operating system and applications only, with all the user
files on D: or E: (i.e. MyDocuments, MyDownloads, MyStuff etc) are
available under XP or 2000.

But you have to shut down and power off in order to change
operating systems.

BTW - My acquaintance at the HMO says XP stands for Xtra Problems.

Mike