SB 640 Connection to SB-102

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Mon Jan 28 11:59:13 EST 2002

Hello Heath Team! Once again I'm coming to the well looking for tech
advice...I was lucky enough to obtain an SB-640 for connection to my SB-102
and I'm having a bit of a problem.
My problem: I restored/repaired the SB-640, connected it up as per the
SB-640 manual, and its working OK but when I calibrate the LMO's to the
SB-102's internal 100khz calibrator, the remote LMO is always about 2 or 3
kc's off.
I went thru the SB-640's alignment/setup procedure 2 or 3 times and its
right, but the remote LMO (SB-640) is always off frequency. I checked on
the LSB/USB shift circuit and its fine. I did discover that the shift/bias
connection is different for the SB-101 vs SB-102, but that correction did
not change/solve my problem.

Using a frequency counter, I found that at the actual connection point in
the SB-102 where the LMO's are switched, the remote LMO is off by 2 KC's
when compared to the internal SB-102 LMO. Why then would it calibrate to
the SB-102's internal 100kc calibrator?? A mystery to me at this point....

Again, the remote LMO works FB, but its off by 2 or 3 kc's...Any ideas???

Many Thanks!! 73's..

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU/VE3DDI