HEATH Digest - 30 Jun 2002 to 1 Jul 2002 (#2002-181)

Eddy Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Tue Jul 2 17:46:11 EDT 2002

Hi Bill,

As Mark says, despite the fact that those HC6/U crystals were hermetically
sealed & all, they DO DRIFT with age!

Your best bet is to check the ACTUAL crystal frequency with a counter, or
listen for it on a well-calibrated DIGITAL general coverage receiver---a
short wire from the receiver's antenna terminal to the crystal socket will
suffice...

If it's off by more than even a couple of hundred hertz from the center of
the IF filter passband, it's time for a new crystal! I fixed this problem on
my SB-102 by installing a rather elaborate relay system that permitted the
rig to ALWAYS transmit through the SSB filter, irregardless of mode: on
receive, of course, it reverted BACK to the cw filter...

A rather complex solution to a relatively simple problem, but it worked!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ