SB-220 Question

John Adkins w4kv at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 2 21:35:52 EDT 2002

First, thanks to everybody who sent me suggestions.  I
tried the simplest first:

I noticed that when the linear is turned on, the relay
immediately actuates, even when the TS-940s is turned
off.  So I disconnected the relay jack from my
TS-940s.    Voila! the relay no longer actuates when
the linear is turned on, and there is no more plate
current.

Has the Harbach mod done something funky?  My next
step is to check the DIN connector on the back of the
TS-940 to make sure that I didn't short anything out
when I was changing xcvrs.

Other suggestions?

Thanks again.

John
w4kv

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 06:40:31 -0700 John Adkins
<w4kv at YAHOO.COM> writes:
> I have an SB-220 that has worked beautifully in the
> past when driven by my TS-940s.  I recently
installed
> the Harbach "soft-key" modification, so that the
relay
> circuit in my new TS-2000 wouldn't be fried.  It
> seemed to work ok, but this a.m. I notice that there
> is about .3 amp plate current even when the relay
> isn't keyed.
> > In trying to troubleshoot this (before opening the
> case), I notice that the manual suggests that ZD-1,
> the Zener diode may be the culprit.
> > Does anybody else have any experience with this?
> would rather not replace the Zener if it is ok.  Of
> course, I'm not sure that the mod is responsible for
> the malfunction, but it's hard to ignore the fact
that
> it showed up soon after.
> > I am confident that I did the mod correctly.  I do
not

http://sbc.yahoo.com