DX-100 question

Brian Wood brianmwood at DIRECWAY.COM
Sat Jul 20 19:21:11 EDT 2002

Found a near mint DX-100 at the Loveland Hamfest today, but the guy wanted
$450 for it. I told him I'd give him $200, and he said he'd go as low as
$400, so it was no sale. But I noticed one peculiarity. Normal DX-100's (not
the B version) have two dual concentric knobs with a red center knob. On the
left side, it's for drive, and on the right side there's a coarse and fine
adjustment for something -- maybe loading. However, on this one, the center
knobs on both sides were dark gray, not red, and the coarse and fine knobs,
though concentric, were not separate (they turned together).  The
"coarse/fine" adjustment was just a continuous adjustment, not stepped as
normal. The owner said he thought it was a late model with a factory mod to
replace the coarse/fine with a variable capacitor. Does anyone know if this
was done on late model DX-100's?

Brian Wood, W0DZ