GROUND

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Wed Jun 12 21:06:22 EDT 2002

OK, Gotta throw my $0.02 here. I have a 70' Rohn 25 tower, a C-band
satellite dish, a pool and a sprinkler system in the back yard. The pool
equipment, dish and the tower are grounded via separate ground rods. All the
cables - coax, sprinker control lines, satellite RF, rotators and
everything - come in through the same PVC tube. Inside the house, a lot of
the lines parallel phone cables running through channels in the basement
ceiling.

A nearby lightning strike (never figured out where) in 1995 destroyed the
pool controller, sprinkler controller, Ham-IV rotator control box, satellite
receiver, every phone in the house, an answering machine and a computer that
was connected to the phone line. It also left burn marks on the wall of my
shack where coax ran past studs. One color TV in the bedroom was "gaussed"
and displayed images as if a big magnet had been placed in front of it. The
sprinkler controller transformer caught on fire and filled the basement with
smoke, but fortunately did not set the house on fire. The telephone Demarc
box was melted (suspect the lightning hit the phone line out in the front
yard and came in through the Demarc box, then coupled to everything else.

Fortunately, all my ham equipment was disconnected at the time and some of
it was over at a friend's awaiting use on Field Day. No one was home when
this happened! We were on vacation, and a housesitter who was on his way
over to check on things saw the storm from a distance. He had to call the
fire department due to the smoke in the basement.

Although I am not done grounding my shack properly, I have put good quality
surge suppressors on all plugs, and I have a quick disconnect on my rotator
cable and coax. I have purchased stuff to make a better ground system in the
shack, but I'll tell you, it's not easy to do all this. A second lightning
strike last year damaged the pool controller again, but that's all. I'm
getting there.

If you live where there's lightning, *please* take precautions and ground
your equipment and try to keep lots of cables from being near each other
where coupling can occur. Disconnect your coax and rotator cable when not in
use - outside! And make sure your insurance covers you. Mine did,
fortunately.

73,

Brian, W0DZ