LMO Worm Gear Grease

Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS) KechkayloD at TCE.COM
Fri Jun 14 09:55:47 EDT 2002

To All:

I have another LMO from an SB-300 which again "warbles" when it's tuned
across the band. I've found, and from others on this list, that the grease
on the gears have hardened over the years. Cleaning these gears and then
re-applying grease there cures the problem completely.

My question is: what is the best grease to use that will last and not
harden, even at cooler room temperatures? Some LMOs will exhibit this
problem from a cold start, but after warmup, thermally, by sitting next to
the tubes, the grease becomes soft, and the tuning therefore is smooth and
"warble"-free.

Regards,

Dave Kechkaylo, W8QIZ