LMO Worm Gear Grease

Ed Kotkiewicz ekotkie at EZL.COM
Fri Jun 14 10:19:11 EDT 2002

"Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS)" wrote:

> To All:
>
> I have another LMO from an SB-300 which again "warbles" when it's tuned
> across the band. I've found, and from others on this list, that the grease
> on the gears have hardened over the years. Cleaning these gears and then
> re-applying grease there cures the problem completely.
>
> My question is: what is the best grease to use that will last and not
> harden, even at cooler room temperatures? Some LMOs will exhibit this
> problem from a cold start, but after warmup, thermally, by sitting next to
> the tubes, the grease becomes soft, and the tuning therefore is smooth and
> "warble"-free.

EK> Dave, I have been very successful repairing LMO for this problem.  I
typically will take the small collar off of the LMO drive shaft and remove the
6, interlocking plates.  I the take a small torch and try to remove as much of
the petroleum base lube that may be on these plates.  After that I recoat the
plates with black moly-lube and reinstall the plates.  Moly-lube is synthetic
and does not degrade like petroleum does.

Hope this helps.

Ed