Repacking the HW-101 Jackson Drive

john johnmb at NC.RR.COM
Sun Jun 16 12:16:53 EDT 2002

I've done several Rich. Write if you get stuck, but the process is pretty
easy!
73
John

Here's my tips for rebuilding the dial drives on a 101. I did this on mine
and it removed all slipping and "grittyness".

Will be happy to answer any questions if anyone needs them.
73
John wb5oau

Remove vfo (easier than it sounds!!)
By: Remove main knob
        remove 2 screws holding Jackson drive #1 to panel
        loosen 2 setscrews on shaft of same behind panel. Remove drive 1.
        Unsolder 3 connections on back of  VFO and unplug 1 RCA plug
        remove 4 nuts on spade lugs holding vfo to chassis
        Remove VFO

        Taking the inner Jackson drive off (there's 2 in series to get the
        28:1 reduction) is straightforward...putting it back in takes a little
        gymnastics but isnt too bad.

        The drives are held together with 4 little bent over tabs. Straighten
        with dikes and pliers (bend as LITTLE as possible!!)...disassemble and
clean in kerosene...repack in lubriplate (after finding the 4 balls that
have fallen out) reassemble and you'll really note the difference in
smoothness...and lack of slip. The grease used in the old ones will likely
be all dried up.

        Doing it the second time I'd think about 2 hours from start to finish
        should do it. The "spread spectrum" effect comes from poor contact
        from the little spring clip on the rotor, to the frame. A heath bulletin
        advises soldering wire to it, and bolting to frame of cap. This is easily
        done on the rear wiper....lube bearings on cap with thin oil
        to cut the peanut butter thickness grease that'll be in there!

        It's easy to get the vfo back in if you saved the BEST PRODUCT
        heath ever invented...the little red nut starter!

        Sure enjoy using my  101 again!  Penson's book says they sold   something
around 50,000 of these....more than any other ham       transceiver ever.

        John wb5oau