Fw: Repacking the HW-101 Jackson Drive

Sandy and Kees Talen windy10605 at JUNO.COM
Sun Jun 16 12:30:24 EDT 2002

After all the solidified old grease has been removed, replace it with
most any of the better Molly car greases (Lubriplate works fine too).
You will need to remove the Jackson Drive which I believe you can get
to after removing the knob. With the set screws installed fill the
coupling
with grease and using another 1/4" shaft, force the grease through the
drive until it comes out at the front shaft.

Other methods are to heat the Jackson Bros drive with a soldering iron,
melting the old hard/lumpy grease and then force in new grease as
indicated above. Or, if you really want to clean it (and feel confident),

observe the distance between the front and rear plate with the bronze
"waffle washer" in between, bend the 4 tabs back (carefully ....they
can break), clean all the parts thoroughly, re grease and reassemble
being careful to maintain the same spacing you observed in step one.
If you bend the 4 tabs over too tightly, the tuning will be stiff.
Another
possibility is to use a drop or two of thick Teflon lubricant like
Tri-Flow (you also ought to try that stuff as a lubricant when drilling
steel).

73s  Kees K5BCQ