Speaker muting on HW-101

CyberGeezer cybergeezer74 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 18 09:36:42 EDT 2002

Anybody know where to get a set of old-time "communication headphones"?

The old-time ones were typically 1000 ohms per earphone or 2000 ohms for the
whole headset.  This apparently is the impedance the HW-101 expects to see
at the headphone jack.  (The manual is silent on this.  The schematic is
silent on the impedances of the two portions of the audio output transformer
secondary.)

When I plug in a new-fangled 8-ohm headphone the speaker does not mute
perceptibly.  I connected a 1K resistor to a headphone plug, plugged it in,
and the speaker muted (still audible, but barely).

73 de W2GERry