SB-401 dial drive (LMO)

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 19 15:08:06 EDT 2002

Based on what Glen said, I think I know what the deal is.  One of those 5 or
6 washers with the tabs on them inside the LMO (likely one of the outer ones)
has gotten stuck, bound up with dried grease.  They control the number of
turns the shaft can make and one being stuck has the effect of reducing the
number available.  That is until is it broken loose!  If you have nerves of
steel, the thing to do is remove the LMO and take off the bottom cover.  You
will see the washers I am talking about on the shaft behind a sleeve with an
allen head.  figure out which one is bound up by turning the shaft, break it
loose and reubricate them all.  While you are at it, try to work some grease
into the right angle drive gears (no easy task, you can't even really see
them, take it from me!).  This will avoid the erratic tuning phonomenon from
developing which people occasionally post about.  Mine had it, and that's how
I fixed it.

73,

Bob, WB2UJD