SB-220 Question

John Adkins w4kv at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 30 09:40:31 EDT 2002

I have an SB-220 that has worked beautifully in the
past when driven by my TS-940s.  I recently installed
the Harbach "soft-key" modification, so that the relay
circuit in my new TS-2000 wouldn't be fried.  It
seemed to work ok, but this a.m. I notice that there
is about .3 amp plate current even when the relay
isn't keyed.

In trying to troubleshoot this (before opening the
case), I notice that the manual suggests that ZD-1,
the Zener diode may be the culprit.

Does anybody else have any experience with this?  I
would rather not replace the Zener if it is ok.  Of
course, I'm not sure that the mod is responsible for
the malfunction, but it's hard to ignore the fact that
it showed up soon after.

I am confident that I did the mod correctly.  I do not
know whether there was plate current prior to my
noticing it this a.m.

Thanks.

John
w4kv