HW-101

Mark Graalman WB8JKR wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Sat Mar 23 13:03:11 EST 2002

   Hi Cal,

> I have two Heathkit HW-101 transceivers that I want to restore.  I am
> having the following problems with them:
>
> Unit 1 - power output into dummy load for each bandswitch setting:
>     3.5 - 90 watts
>     7.0 - 45 watts
>     14.0 - 100 watts
>     21.0 - 110 watts
>     28.0 - 50 watts
>     28.5 - no output
>     29.0 - 120 watts
>     29.5 - 120 watts

> What would cause the power out to be down on 7.0 and no output on
> 28.5?

   I would check the alignment of the 7.0, 28 and 28.5 Mhz hetrodyne
oscillators for proper output, the crystal for the 28.5 range may be bad.

> Unit 2 - receives fine but no transmit at all.  Bias is fine, no
> output power.

  If the receive works ok, then the problem must in the balance
modulator,
V2 isolation amp, V5A 1st xmit mixer, V6 2nd xmit mixer, V7 driver, or
the
final section. Anything else would affect receive as well.
 If you have no output on CW or SSB I would start at V2 the buffer
between
the balanced modulator and the 1 st I.F., if thats ok the proceed to V5A
and
so on.
 If you have RF out on CW and not SSB then I would start at the 1st audio
stage V1A

73,  Mark WB8JKR

Novice 3/71,  General 8/72,   Advanced 6/80,   Extra 8/88
Member Society of Cable Telecommunication Engineers
Member ARRL, QCWA, WAC, WAS, VUCC 2 meters, GJDXCC, OTC, RCC,